Thursday, October 11, 2012

Family Matters


Amosu friends and family,

Again, I am writing this blog about events that were weeks ago. This will be my last post from the past, because now it is getting difficult to remember all the events that have taken place. I will begin blogging more frequently to keep events more current. Thanks for all of your patience! Continue to refer to Matt’s blog for other news in our life that is not related to food and sustainable living :) mattandcarolineinkenya.blogspot.com.

We had our Kenyan family over this weekend! It was good to have them over especially because they are always hosting us. For those of you that don’t know, when Matt and I were here 2 years ago we lived with this family during those 2 months. We stayed at their house, took meals with them and we quickly became a part of their family. We love them like our own family and we all work hard to take care of each other. It is nice to know we have a large family here who is willing to do anything to make use feel comfortable and safe. The immediate family consists of Elida - the mother, Sharon - the daughter, George - the son, Mark- the father (Mark did not join us for this meal), and now baby Mackey - Sharon’s baby. I swear… I love this baby like she is my own. I have gone to all of her clinic visits to get her immunizations. People in the community joke that she is my baby and I respond by saying “of course she is my baby! Doesn’t she look just like me?!” This causes much laughter and chatter in the local language Luo, which I don’t understand much of, so I just smile and carry on with “my child” in hand. :)
Cheek pinching cute!


We decided to honor our family by butchering one of our chickens. Sharon taught us how to butcher Kenyan style. First, we had to catch the chicken, which Matt did successfully (can’t you tell how proud he is by his smug smile? )
Way to go Matt.


Then we had to pull out the feathers around the neck where we were to make the “incision”.

Ouch.

Then we had to cut the neck and drain the blood. Way to go Dr. Matt!

Thank you Chicken for giving your life!


 Then we had to boil the chicken to loosen the feathers enough to pluck them out.



After gutting the chicken we roasted the outside to pluck any fine hairs that remained.



The last step was of course to eat it! I got so wrapped up in cooking that I forgot to take a final picture of everything. The final product consisted of chicken stew, chapatti  - a Kenyan flour tortilla,- which is documented below - and an Asian stir fry which Matt and I contributed. The family LOVED the stir-fry, and since this meal they have made it a few times at their house; always good to provide some cross-cultural exchange. :)
Elida (bottom left), Sharon (right) and me making chapati!!!

Rollin' like a true Kenyan woman



Sunday was another exciting day as we received our sofas, successfully cultivated some taro root that was growing down by the lake and we received a call from our friend Bernard who told us another friend had just killed a 10 foot python at our neighboring beach!

Our friends Elijah, Tielen and Evans made our sofas, which we love!!! SO nice to finally have a place to relax after a long day.

for those who appreciate Seinfeld...

yay couches!!!

Our friend Olambo came over to help me harvest the taro and transplant a few of the leaves to grow around the property.



Aaaand here is our friend Owino who killed the python. Yikes. It was still moving a bit while they were skinning it. Biggest snake I have ever seen up close. It was pretty cool! I am glad it is no longer living around our beach though… thanks Owino!

Thats right... they killed it with a single spear.



That night we made some more kale wraps which consisted of blanched kale leaves, a sauté of some local grown carrots, peppers and onions, along with a spiced rice (cinnamon, salt, pepper, masala spice) and a tangy peanut sauce (soy sauce, peanut butter, lemon juice mixture) to sprinkle on top. It was a delicious meal!
My studly husband before dinner :)

veggie feast!
 I will write again soon with some more current events here on the island! Life is always exciting… never a dull moment. We are enjoying our home and community and our simple and sustainable way of life. What a great way to start out our first year of marriage!

Until next time…

Love, peace and chicken grease!
Caroline



No comments:

Post a Comment